Basic Guidelines for Writing an Article Summary
Article writing is an essential facet of academic writing. It may be on different topics and may vary regarding its length. A lengthy article needs a summary, and it is better to learn well than to make blunders. There are basic principles of summary writing that remain the same.
The summary should be able to highlight the matter without details. Without reading the whole written paper, the summary entails the synopsis of the text in a short form depending on the size of the text. To summarize an article is to provide the main objective behind writing it. It does not prefer keeping all factors asserted in the original version.
Usually, summaries often pass before our eyes in the form of book prefaces and product details, but we do not notice it. If we read carefully, we can learn the basic pattern from that expert writers' way of gathering the ideas in brief form. You can get the help of YourEssayWriter if you have trouble writing an article summary.
Guidelines for writing a summary of an article:
- State only significant issues of the article.
- Don't forget to add all essential arguments; otherwise, the reader cannot get the true meaning of the article.
- Additionally, gather all supporting debates that justify the central theme.
- Use your original wordings to clarify it. There is no need to copy the items or phrases from the article to make it easier to understand.
- You can use quotations from articles when explaining something crucial.
- Usually, the standard size of your summary should not exceed one-third of the original text.
- Your summary must consist of an introduction, body paragraphs, and conclusion, just following the classic rules of summary writing.
- In literature, for example, “Doctor Faustus”, a play by Christopher Marlowe, when writing the summary of the extended play, you should ignore all irrelevant ideas except the main character's flaws, mainly his undue pride and how it brought him toward his downfall. And in a body paragraph, add all those events in sequence that support the central theme of his pride.
- In summary, do not mention the analysis of the article or talk about its plot. Never miss mentioning key points to deliver a clear and understandable summary.
- First of all, determine the length of the original article. If it is a short, one-page summary will be alright. If it is a lengthy article, you need to add more pages, depending on the actual volume. The basic role will apply here; the more significant the article, the bigger the summary. Or maybe you are asked by the teacher to check how many words the summary contains.
- Select the primary theme of the article. You should be able to identify the main topic to cover it in the discussion perfectly.
- When you start writing the article summary, your topic sentence must support this idea without using details of the article. For example, the literacy rates of the developing third world countries are lower than the developed nations. In a summary of this topic sentence, you need to explain some significant reasons for this difference. There is no need to discuss the education system analysis of both countries or even write a critical overview of the text. Just explain the precise intention of the article sincerely.
- Try to be objective; you are not asked to prove your opinion or provide critical analysis of the article; what you need to do is summarize the concept and argument of the writer.
- Book abstracts are also a form of summary; while reading a book, try to write a summary or an abstract. It is recommended that you don't rely on second-hand summarized work because you are not sure how much the given points have credible evidence. Never attempt this trick in your article summary and read it yourself to prepare a forthcoming paper on the given task for you.
- To avoid missing a significant event or point, read or watch it carefully; this is the only way to resist this negligence.
- Outline all critical points in this step, then add or remove them in your summary to get the required length of your task. Remember, it could be done on a priority basis, eliminating points that appear less important than others to control the size of the summary.
- Mapping helps more in this regard; write each incident you feel should be mentioned in your summary. Always note those points as well, which are repeated all the time in the original article. In this step, a professional essay writer can help in understanding and writing a complete essay.
- The last step is proofreading. Reread the summary and omit parts if you find some errors. Read loudly as you can get more ideas making it better than it was before. Or you can also check it with any experienced person.
- Be selective in finding out the article's thesis statement and topic point and write in your words. This is not a difficult task because the author has already stated this in his article. You need to pick this argument and use it in your summary.
- In the end, check out the sequence of the summary. When I ask my personal essay writer to write my paper, I always keep in mind that organization is important.
In the introduction, the title should be discussed, proving the author's thesis statement. In the body paragraphs, put the author's arguments on the main topic. In the conclusion section, you have gathered all essential declarations and debates provided in the original article.
So, how do you write an article summary? A summary of an article must contain a brief description of the given article. It seems not so complicated; in daily life, we are used to answering these questions verbally all the time. For instance, what is the background of the novelist you have just finished? Do you agree with these contradictory arguments you saw in the show? You have a long meeting with them; what were they all trying to convince? In reality, we were asked to summarize these occurrences.
If we learn to speak concisely and briefly, it will be easier to write a summary of any given task successfully. This article summary demonstrates how you can read and interpret or comprehend in a written form. This is a creative ability to comprehend the author's point of view and shows your paper’s authenticity.